Essential Energy, a NSW Government-owned corporation, is responsible for building, operating and maintaining Australia's largest electricity network. The Comapany operates under a decentralised regional management structure and has eight regional management teams and 4,600 employees based across over 100 local depots and regional offices to service consumer's energy needs.
- The Company delivers essential network services to more than 800,000 homes and businesses across 95 per cent of NSW and parts of southern Queensland and northern Victoria.
- Maintains over 200,000 kilometres of powerlines, 1.4 million power poles and 135,000 distribution sub stations that span a diverse geographical area.
The Company aims to transform the existing network into a responsive intelligent network to improve reliability, support the growth of renewable energy and make energy efficiency simpler for customers.
- Australia's only member of the Global Intelligent Utility Network Coalition, convened by IBM to accelerate the use of smart grid or intelligent technologies on networks that supply energy to over 150 million people globally.
- Operates Australia's first comprehensive Intelligent Network Research and Demonstration Centre – showcasing smart network devices, cutting edge communication technologies, community education as well as energy efficiency and renewable energy options.
Essential Energy's business philosophy has been to provide value for money services to its customers. The Company is aware of the impact of rising network costs on regional NSW communities and is responding to this by identifying and implementing initiatives that will ensure safe and reliable network services at the lowest reasonable cost to customers.
Essential Energy is committed to delivering safe and reliable essential services to families and businesses across regional NSW.
- With the investment of around $6 billion for maintaining and building new electricity infrastructure by 2014, the Company aims to secure essential services for the future.
- As part of its continuous vegetation management, the Company inspects and responds to trees and other vegetation encroaching on electricity infrastructure every day to achieve a sustainable outcome for everyone.
The Company organises various community support program to contribute to the growth and development of the regional communities.
- Community Support/ Regional Sponsorships – up to $1000 on biannual basis.
- A $200 flat rebate to ease the financial burden on not-for-profit halls run and used by communities and community groups.
- Electricity Safety Week - to educate students of the hazards associated with electricity.