According to Tas Gas Networks, natural gas makes life easier. One of the ways it does this is by being versatile and comfortable – it can be used for cooking, showering, heating, barbecuing and more and it allows for instant and controllable heat. Another way natural gas makes things easy is by being good for the planet as well as for your wallet. After all, it’s by far the cheapest fossil fuel available and currently costs about half the price per kilowatt of electricity. Because of the many advantages of natural gas, over 43,000 Tasmanians are already receiving it via the natural gas pipeline network managed by Tas Gas Networks.
Though the primary focus of the company remains on operating the distribution network, a retail subsidiary was created in August 2003 to encourage competition in the industry. This retail business – called Tas Gas Retail – has been operational since 2004 and was the first natural gas retailer in Tasmania. It’s currently the largest retailer in the state with over 6,000 customers, though it now has a number of able competitors
- Vision: Tas Gas Retail’s parent company is committed to expanding its natural gas distribution network in Tasmania and works with many other gas retailers to accomplish this. In the state’s gas retail industry, Tas Gas Retail is currently predominant. The company will keep working hard to retain this position, with the ultimate goals of stimulating economic growth in the region, making life better for the Tasmanian people and protecting the environment.
- Philosophy: Tas Gas' corporate values are integrity, leadership, teamwork, partnership, innovation, safety and sustainability. The Tas Gas team expects all staff members to follow these guiding principles to the letter at all times. In return, they are given access to ongoing training and development opportunities, competitive pay rates, bonuses and a fitness program. Additionally, the corporate culture stresses positivity, flexibility and responsibility.
- Sustainability: A firm believer in natural gas, Tas Gas sees in this energy source the most effective practical way to combat greenhouse gas emissions, acid rain and climate change. Natural gas is not a renewable energy source, but it’s the cleanest fossil fuel currently available and it remains invaluable in our efforts to reduce our carbon footprint and safeguard a more sustainable future for ourselves.
- Social: Tas Gas Retail is a pillar of the Tasmanian community and offers prospective employees a challenging, exciting and friendly work environment as well as a closely-knit team of able colleagues to work with. The company goes to great efforts to cultivate a positive team culture among its employees and to give its customers the best experience a gas retailer can possibly offer them. Some of the strategies Tas Gas uses to accomplish this besides remunerative ones are very flexible working hours, non-compulsory uniforms and the Fitness For Work program.
- Charities: All employees are given a full paid day off work to volunteer for a charity project of their own choosing. The mother company Tas Gas Networks also integrates Corporate Social Responsibility principles to design and organise specific projects to give back to the community.