Supagas specializes in the retail and distribution of LPG and industrial gases. Many other related market segments are serviced as well however by its fleet of 100 trucks and its nine large stores, located in five Australian states. A few of the other product offerings include heaters, medical and industrial equipment, safety clothing and cutting tools. Gases remain the core business though and today most people associate Supagas with quality and expertise with regards to LPG.
Since the founding of the company in 1968 by Bill, Ray and Don Haddrell, Supagas has focused unrelentingly on customer service. The philosophy of always putting their customers first and treating them as individuals rather than as numbers has paid off handsomely and remains to this day a cornerstone of Supagas’ self-proclaimed can-do attitude. As a result, its nine retail stores are widely known for dealing in quality products and having the best service in town.
In the mid-1990s, Supagas faced an increased demand for more specialty gases besides LPG and made the decision to build a large industrial gas factory in Dandenong. Among other industrial gases, Supagas is known for delivering quality oxygen, acetylene, argon, helium and carbon dioxide to its customers in Victoria and beyond.
- Vision: Putting the customer at the centre of all business activity is a key element of the Supagas team's corporate culture – along with teamwork. Based on customer demand, Supagas has been entering and exiting new markets during its entire forty-year existence and has gained invaluable expertise as a specialist retailer and distributor in the process. The future undoubtedly holds even more expansion into new markets and territories.
- Differentiation: Dominance over the LPG-market has remained the focal point of Supagas' corporate interests since the firm won a bulk LPG distribution contract for Mobil in the early 1980s. However, the company was originally founded as a seller of forklifts and LPG forklift cylinders and has always embraced product and service differentiation as a key strategy to attract and hold on to customers. The current product and service offerings include a wide range of specialist gases and equipment and new items are being added regularly. This enables Supagas to satisfy the needs of its very demanding customers in the most complete way possible.
- Philosophy: According to the Supagas team, the attitude they display towards their customers is just as important as their fleet, their manufacturing facilities and their innovative tracking methods are. The originators of this company philosophy are none other than the original founders of this family-owned business: the Haddrell Brothers.
- Sustainability: Supagas respects all official industry regulations and standards pertaining to the protection of the environment as well as its employees and its customers. The team also goes to great efforts to inform customers and website visitors about the safe use of their gases and equipment, showing their firm commitment to protecting not only their staff from harm, but also the environment.
- Social: Supagas is a family-owned, 100% Australian company with very strong ties to its customer base and to the wider community.
- Charities: The company has sponsored various sports teams as well as a variety of charitable events promoting causes such as breast cancer awareness and the Multiple Sclerosis Australia organisation.